NPS reports are in for July and August. July showed a decrease over last year of 5.36% and August showed a decrease of 5.9%. Year to date averages -5.9%. Click here for the link to the current NPS reports.
For those of you that missed AOT's regional data report click here for regional profiles. Overall the state is still holding with marginal gains - however as we know National Parks are down. We learned that the Northern AZ Region tends to show trends before the rest of the state. In speaking with some of the hotels I am hearing numbers are tracking well for next year. Please click here to answer a few questions to help guide future discussions on trends / concerns for 2020.
Grand Canyon Trail Half Marathon, 5K and Family 1-mile
I have been working hard on the Grand Canyon Trail Half Marathon set for November 2, 2019. This event is now completely locally driven. I have partnered with Run Tucson for the Race logistics, but the rest of the experience is about us – who we are as a community and the hospitality we offer to our visitors. We are now working on our final touches and need your assistance. We currently have 267 people registered for the event and want to be able to show them what makes us so “Grand”! We chose this date to increase your late fall visitation and hopefully have better weather for the runners. We have begun to send emails to the participants highlighting local stories, fun facts, where to stay, what to do and would love to include you in some of our upcoming highlights. Over the next few we will be highlighting those restaurants that want to offer a Friday night pasta/carb special, any restaurant that wants to participate in Taste of the Grand Canyon and anyone donating prizes for our runners.
The course begins and ends at IMAX. IMAX is graciously opening their building to us for this event.
Friday November 1st
- 3 pm – 8 pm pre-race registration packet pick-up
- 7 pm Volunteer meeting
- 7:30 pm Race information session for participants
- Pasta Specials around town
Saturday November 2nd
- 8 am - 12 pm - Pancake Breakfast to support Tusayan Fire Department
- 10 am – Half Marathon start
- 10:15 am – 5K start
- Register your business for a vendor table - All Vendor's must be members of the Grand Canyon Chamber of Commerce. There is no base fee to participate, however if your businesses normally extend a commission to the Chamber, we ask that any sales you make at this event that you extend the same commission. The goal is to provide event participants with information on the Grand Canyon. You can set-up Friday night during our pre-registration/race information event and on Saturday November 2nd for the event.
- Friday Night Pasta / High Carb special - The Grand Canyon Trail Half Marathon is looking for our local restaurants to offer a pasta special for our Marathon participants. If you are interested in offering a pasta special on Friday Night November 1, 2019 please complete the form by October 11th to be included in a special email to participants. We are sending e-newsletters to the participants and would like to include your offer.
- Taste of the Grand Canyon - We hope you want to participate in the Taste of the Grand Canyon. We are looking for restaurants interested in donating small samples of what makes your food so "Grand" - it could really be anything - your signature sandwich cut into smaller portions, your famous wings, a sample of your best dessert. Please consider donating 100 - 200 units for sampling to share with the racers and their families. Event will take place at the Grand Canyon IMAX. Event set-up 9 am finished by 3 pm.
- Prize Donations - We are looking for 50 Grand Canyon prizes for the different age categories. We are looking for 8 amazing prizes like donated tours or hotel stays and then things likes Grand Canyon books, art/posters, t-shirts, or water bottles. The amazing prizes will go to the top 3 men and top 3 women overall and the top man and woman in the masters category.
- Volunteers – We will need about 55 volunteers the day before and the day of to make this happen. If you or anyone you know want to get involved and help show these Half - Marathon Racer what a Grand Community offers please sign-up to volunteer.
I realize this is a lot to ask - we plan to make this an annual fall event and hope to significantly increase numbers next year and the years to come. This inaugural year for us will set the stage for all the years to come – if our 267 racers have an awesome time and each tell 2 friends… well we could have over 801 for next year.
Thank you all for your support!
New Board Member - We would like to welcome DaNene Pace to our Chamber Board. DaNene has been the Station Manager for Westwind Air Service for over 3 years - prior to Westwind DaNene worked with Vision Airlines for over 10 years. DaNene will serve the remainer of this year as a replacement for ClayAnn who stepped down in July. Romy Murphy had been Vice-President and has assumed the role of President.
2019 Board Elections - The Grand Canyon Chamber of Commerce and Visitors Bureau is seeking nominations for its annual Board of Director member election in December. There are 3 open seats.
To be eligible, the nominee must represent a Grand Canyon-Tusayan business and be a current full Chamber member in good standing. No more than one representative is allowed from any one full Chamber Member. Nominations must include a short bio (65-90 words max) of the potential candidate and a signed statement confirming eligibility and willingness to serve.
Elections will be held in December by mail ballot. The board has a total of seven members with a portion of the group elected each year. Board meetings are held monthly on the second Thursday at 10:00 am.
For more information contact Laura at 520-329-1889. Mail nominations by November 10th to PO Box 3007, Grand Canyon AZ 86023 or email to Laura.Chastain@GrandCanyonCVB.org .
A Special Thank you to all of our 2019 Sponsors:
We couldn't do all of our events (July 4th, Half-Marathon, Employment FAM Tours, Become the Experts etc) without you!
Platnum Sponsor: Town of Tusayan for July 4th
Gold Sponsors: Holiday Inn Express and Suites, Red Feather Lodge, Texaco Express Mini-Mart
Silver Sponsors: The Grand Hotel, Papillon Grand Canyon Helicopter
Bronze Sponsors: Plaza Bonita Restaurant, Big E Steakhouse,
RP's Stage Stop, Grand Canyon Plaza Hotel, Best Western Grand Canyon Squire Inn
Small Business Sponsors: Arizona River Runners, Camper Village, Maverick, Buck Wild Hummer Tours
CUA fee increase Delayed
The Commercial Use Authorization fees timetable schedule that had been scheduled for October 1st has now been delayed until at least April 1, 2020 for Grand Canyon. Here’s a link for more information: